Lead Attitude and Orbit Determination and Control systems (AOCS) Engineer
What we are building
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone, we provide simple and affordable space missions using nanosatellite technology. We went from design to delivery of our first nanosatellite qb01 in only four months, followed by its launch and deployment in LEO early April 2017.
The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers to be launched in 2018. Based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus in the UK, we are a young and ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. To support our growth and make our vision a reality we are looking for the brightest minds and the best talents in every domain.
The following job opportunity is available:
Description of the position
The successful candidate will be leading the design, execution and validation of GNC/AOCS systems for Open Cosmos’ nanosatellite missions.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation Guidance Navigation and Control / Attitude and Orbit Control systems and algorithms
- Lead the definition of requirements and system design
- Propose technical solutions that satisfy the requirements but take into account overall spacecraft system considerations and constraints.
- Lead the implementation of the AOCS algorithms in C or similar programming languages
- Lead the design, drive manufacturing and test AOCS hardware with the respective driver software
- Commit to fulfil customer requirements and expectations
- Mentorship/training and motivation of colleagues
- Support sales, customer support or any other business areas that require technical support as needed
- Input to technical roadmap
- Plan and organise the AOCS team and resources
- Lead the AOCS roadmap for continuous improvement of AOCS developments, including testing facilities management and planning in collaboration with the AIT team
- Assisting company-wide projects and activities as part of the Open Cosmos team
Skills, attitude, competencies and experience
- MSc or PhD. university degree in related discipline (e.g. aerospace, control engineering…)
- Proven industrial experience in AOCS product engineering. To have developed several products, seen full cycle including functional and environmental testing involvement and in orbit operation
- 3+ years experience in AOCS development role in the space industry
- Experience in providing support in AIT phase
- Experience in supporting orbital operations team for AOCS commissioning and nominal operations support
- Experience in development and verification of AOCS algorithms in MATLAB or similar, including hardware in the loop verification
- Experience in software implementation of AOCS algorithms, C or similar
- Experience managing communication with suppliers
- Project management skills
- Drive to learn and teach
- Lean / bootstrap mentality
- Self-driven attitude with problem-solving mentality
Nice to have
- Space systems engineer experience
- Experience in spacecraft mission operations
- Supply chain network
Open Cosmos in the media
How to apply
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Links to your LinkedIn and GitHub profiles (if applicable)
- max. half a page covering letter