Senior Legal Counsel
Who we are
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world’s biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfil our mission to democratise the space we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
Description of the Position
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible for legal, including IP and contracts.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Supporting the business in the UK and internationally across all practice areas, with the main focus being commercial, corporate, data protection and IP
- Partnering with other departments, including people, communications, space mission operations, finance, technology.
- Advising the business on navigating the global legal and regulatory regimes that apply to the space industry (no prior knowledge required)
- Working with the UK Space Agency and others on securing the required licences and permissions for the launch and operation of space missions
- Drafting and negotiation of complex commercial partnership and services agreements, including with international organisations such as the European Space Agency
- Working in a pragmatic and flexible way to deliver results quickly with a focus on getting things done
Skills, attitude and experience
- Have at least 2 years experience at a well-established law firm, preferably qualifying into Commercial, Corporate, IP or Regulatory/Compliance departments.
- Previous in-house experience gained through employment or on secondment would be advantageous.
- Be practical and pragmatic in their approach.
- Be able to apply the law to real-world business problems.
- Have a creative and flexible approach.
- Be willing to work on projects across a broad spectrum of complexity.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and priorities but still delivering great work.
- Have a strong attention to detail and be able to work independently
- Have outstanding drafting, communication, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Possess a very high standard of written and oral English
Nice to have
- Knowledge of languages other than English
- Experience from working in or with a SaaS startup
- Existing network and relationships in the space industry, startup community and government
- International experience
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of people to build the future of a new space industry
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Healthy snacks and pick’n’mix sweets at the office
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club – suggest something new?
- Annual Company Retreat
- Remote working as per company policy
- Working from home as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review
How to apply
Visit the career section of our website here.
Please include your CV, Cover Letter (max ½ page) and any relevant links to LinkedIn and your work (eg. GitHub, C++, <iostream>).
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.