Junior AOCS Engineer and Orbit Determination and Control Systems Engineer
Who we are
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world’s biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfil our mission to democratise the space we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
Description of the Position
You will be assisting the design, execution and validation of GNC/AOCS systems for open Cosmos’ nanosatellite missions.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Working alongside the lead AOCS Engineer your tasks will be;
- Contribute to the development and implementation Guidance Navigation and Control / Attitude and Orbit Control systems and algorithms.
- Add to the definition of requirements and system design.
- Propose technical solutions that satisfy the requirements but take into account overall spacecraft system considerations and constraints.
- Work on the implementation of the AOCS algorithms in C or similar programming languages with the Lead AOCS Engineer.
- Contribute to the design, drive manufacturing and test AOCS hardware with the respective driver software.
- Support sales, customer support or any other business areas that require technical support as needed.
- Input to technical roadmap.
- Add to the AOCS roadmap for continuous improvement of AOCS developments, including testing facilities management and planning in collaboration with the AIT team.
- Assisting company-wide projects and activities as part of the Open Cosmos team.
Skills, attitude and experience
- MSc or PhD; university degree in related disciplines (e.g. aerospace, control engineering…)
- Proven industrial experience in AOCS product engineering.
- 1+ years experience in AOCS development role in the space industry
- Experience in providing support in AIT phase
- Experience in supporting orbital operations team for AOCS commissioning and nominal operations support
- Experience in development and verification of AOCS algorithms in MATLAB or similar, including hardware in the loop verification
- Experience in software implementation of AOCS algorithms, C or similar
- Project management skills
- Drive to learn and coach others
- Self-driven attitude with problem-solving mentality
Nice to have
- Space systems engineer experience
- Experience in spacecraft mission operations
- Supply chain network
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of people to build the future of a new space industry
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Healthy snacks and pick’n’mix sweets at the office
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club – suggest something new?
- Remote working as per company policy
- Working from home as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review
How to apply
Visit the career section of our website here.
Please include your CV, Cover Letter (max ½ page) and any relevant links to LinkedIn and your work (eg. GitHub, C++, <iostream>).
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.