Lead Test Development Engineer
What we are building
Open Cosmos Ltd. is revolutionising the way space technology is used. Open Cosmos provides simple and affordable access to space using nanosatellite technology.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone and advancing science and technology, we are developing a nanosatellite platform and a series of services that allow us to offer a ride to orbit to payloads of any kind at a record low price and short time to orbit.
We are a young and very ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. Having gone from design to delivery of our first nanosatellites in only four months, Open Cosmos’ first satellite was launched to the ISS in the first Orbital ATK’s Cygnus capsule of 2017, and is now operating in low earth orbit.
Open Cosmos is based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus, Oxfordshire, UK.
Description of the position
The successful candidate will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK). The Test Development Engineer will be responsible for the design, implementation and smooth running of hardware and software systems used to test and validate new and developing satellite systems. Applicants with strong interests in electronics who see it as a hobby will be especially welcome.
Space industry experience is not required.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Responsible for planning and implementing agreed test strategies for satellites and electronic subsystems
- Conception and definition of test procedures, test plans and test strategies in alignment with design, system engineering and project management
- Creation and execution of tests on demand from analysis, requirements and existing procedures
- Architect, design and implementation of hardware and software solutions for automated test, validation and qualification
- Generation of testing documentation
- Provide production support for test solution
- Provide design feedback according to testing results
- Commit to fulfill customer requirements and expectations
Skills and competences
- Experience with test plans and procedures
- Experience with embedded systems
- Experience with analog circuits and practical knowledge in analogue and mixed signal measurement techniques
- Strong hand-on skills
- Hardware and software development
- Scripting & test automation; Python or other test automation techniques & tools.
- Quick learner
- Work independently and under pressure
- Take initiative and work in a self-driven manner
- Embrace challenge and work outside of the comfort zone
- Interest to work in the space industry in a startup environment
- Experience of design and implementation of automated test systems
- Experience creating tests for a wide range of electronic and electromechanical devices
- Experience in RF characterisation and measurement techniques
- Experience with qualifications including CE and FCC
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis
- Linux shell scripting
- Altium Designer
- Knowledge of languages other than English
- International experience
Open Cosmos in the media
Video – Open Cosmos products & services
“New Satcoms get ticket to space through ESA’s Pioneer programme” European Space Agency
How to apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply in our careers page or send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Link to your LinkedIn profile
– max. half a page covering letter