qbcan compact, Open Cosmos’ latest CanSat educational kit has been specifically developed to help students and enthusiasts learn how to design and operate a satellite.
qbcan offers an exciting way for users to learn engineering skills including coding, electronics, telecommunications, space systems…
It features all standard satellite systems including power, sensors and communication systems all contained within the volume of a soft drink can.
Open Cosmos’ qbcan compact has been designed with plug-to-play features as well as all the required capabilities of a standard CanSat.
These capabilities include radio communications, temperature and atmospheric pressure sensors as well as a computing platform with a wide range of interfaces, all integrated within a 6cm diameter PCB disk.
qbcan is designed to have both CanSat or ground station functionalities, meaning two of them can be used in a mission with full compatibility between them.
- Thickness: 1cm
- Mounting holes: 4 x clearance holes for M3 fasteners or rods
- Micro-USB connector programming interface
- I2C, SPI, UART serial communication ports
- 6 analogue inputs with 10-bit ADC
- 14 Digital I/O pins, 3 PWM output pins
- 5V and 3.3V power outputs + 12V max power input
- Embedded 433 MHz antenna on qbcan option
- SMA female connector for external antenna on qbcan GS option
Arduino Pro Micro compatibility and Arduino IDE
- ATmega32U4 (5 V / 16 MHz)
RFM69HW transceiver at 433 MHz
- +20dBm / 100mW power output capability
- High sensitivity: down to -120 dBm at 1.2kbps
- -18/+20 dBm programmable output power in 1 dB steps
- Fully integrated synthesizer with 61Hz resolution
- Software selectable frequency (256+ channels available)
- 255 possible nodes in every channel
- FSK, GFSK, MSK, GMSK and OOK modulations
- Hardware 128 bit AES encryption
- 400+ m range with whip antenna, several km with Yagi antenna in direct line of sight
Temperature and Pressure Control
- 300 – 110 hPa pressure sensing range
- Up to 0.02 hPa altitude resolution
- -40ºC /+85ºC operational range, +/-2ºC temperature accuracy
What is included? – qbcan board, USB cable. You will receive in your email a link with the qbcan 3D file and 3D files of a CanSat structure so you can modify it, print it and assemble it! If you do not have a 3D printer yourself, feel free to use any provider. You can probably find a 3D printer near you at: