RF / Telecommunications Engineer (201709_Telecomms_eng)
What we are building
Open Cosmos Ltd. is revolutionising the way space technology is used. Open Cosmos provides simple and affordable space missions using nanosatellite technology.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone and advancing science and technology, we are developing a series of services and produces allow us to offer a ride to orbit to payloads of any kind at a record low price and short time to orbit.
We are a young, dynamic and very ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. Having gone from design to delivery of our first nanosatellite in less than six months, Open Cosmos’ first satellite was deployed into orbit at the end of April 2017. The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers that will be launched in 2018.
Open Cosmos is based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus, Oxfordshire, UK.
The following job opening is available:
Description of the position
The successful RF / Telecommunications engineer candidate will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be in charge of the satellite telecommunications systems and antennae design, test and validation.
She/he will lead the design, simulation, manufacturing and testing of telecommunications systems and dedicated ground and flight software, as well as in charge of the testing equipment and facilities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lead mission analysis and system engineers in RF and telecommunications matters
- Definition of requirements and system design
- Design, drive manufacturing and test hardware with respective software
- Work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Work individually under pressure
- Take initiative and work in a self-driven manner
- Embrace challenge and work out of the comfort zone
- Commit to fulfil customer requirements and expectations
Skills and competences
- Experience in RF, electronic engineering, space telecommunications
- Experience on RF schematics and multi-layer PCB layout design
- Experience on EMC analysis and design
- RF/Analog PCB and antenna design
- Telecomms system design and link budget
- SDR and knowledge of DSP are assets
- Experience in RF testing
- Quick learner
- Interest to work in the space industry in a start-up environment
C programming language or C-like language (e.g. C#, C++, Java, JS)
Linux/Unix shell scripting proficiency (bash, grep, one of sed/awk/perl, ssh, etc)
Familiarity with POSIX (e.g. “files”, file descriptors, fork, exec, sockets)
Verilog or VHDL
High-speed >1GHz digital electronics design.
Knowledge of ECSS and CCSDS standards and recommendations and ITU regulation
Knowledge of languages other than English
Open Cosmos in the media
“New Satcoms get ticket to space through ESA’s Pioneer programme” European Space Agency
How to apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply in our careers page or send your application to email@example.com
– Links to your LinkedIn and GitHub profiles (if applicable)
– max. half a page covering letter