What we are building
Open Cosmos Ltd. is revolutionising the way space technology is used. Open Cosmos provides simple and affordable access to space using nanosatellite technology.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone and advancing science and technology, we are developing a nanosatellite platform and a series of services that allow us to offer a ride to orbit to payloads of any kind at a record low price and short time to orbit.
We are a young and very ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. Having gone from design to delivery of our first nanosatellites in only four months, Open Cosmos’ first satellite was launched to the ISS in the first Orbital ATK’s Cygnus capsule of 2017, and is now operating in low earth orbit.
Open Cosmos is based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus, Oxfordshire, UK.
Description of the position
The successful candidate will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be in charge of designing, validating and commissioning software for Open Cosmos’ mission development & management infrastructure. Likewise, the candidate will contribute to the expansion of Open Cosmos’ global satellite control infrastructure as member of the software team.
She/he will be involved in a fast design-test-iterate cycle that characterises Open Cosmos’ work.
Space industry experience is not required.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Maintaining our main PostgreSQL database
- Improving automation, e.g. testing, deployment, migrations
- Work independently and under pressure
- Take initiative and work in a self-driven manner
- Embrace challenge and work outside of the comfort zone
- Commit to fulfill customer requirements and expectations
Skills and competences
- Experience with PostgreSQL including use of: asynchronous notifications, stored procedures, constraints, checks, triggers, table inheritance, ANALYZE, pl/pgSQL (i.e. not just via ORMs or basic SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT queries).
- Ability to write and maintain unit tests
- Familiarity with a UNIX-like command-line interface (e.g. Linux / BSD/MacOS terminals)
- Quick learner
- Interest to work in the space industry in a startup environment
- Open to new technologies
- Experience with C# and/or Java
- Understanding of writing parsers/generators for auto-generating code/tests/documentation
- Basic familiarity with set theory
- Knowledge of languages other than English
- International experience
Open Cosmos in the media
Video – Open Cosmos products & services
“New Satcoms get ticket to space through ESA’s Pioneer programme” European Space Agency
How to apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply in our careers page or send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Links to your LinkedIn and GitHub profiles (if applicable)
– max. half a page covering letter