Aerospace Software Modelling Engineer (201711_AerospaceSoftwareModelling_eng)
What we are building
Open Cosmos Ltd. is revolutionising the way space technology is used. Open Cosmos provides simple and affordable access to space using nanosatellite technology.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone and advancing science and technology, we are developing a nanosatellite platform and a series of services that allow us to offer a ride to orbit to payloads of any kind at a record low price and a short time to orbit.
We are a young and very ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. Having gone from design to delivery of our first nanosatellites in only four months, Open Cosmos’ first satellite will be launched to the ISS in the first Orbital ATK’s Cygnus capsule of 2017, to then be released to low earth orbit.
Open Cosmos is based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus, Oxfordshire, UK.
Description of the position
The successful candidate will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be in charge of designing, building and validating software models of Open Cosmos’ flight and ground systems for a satellite simulation and control platform.
She/he will be involved in a fast design-test-iterate cycle that characterises Open Cosmos’ work.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Design, develop and test software models of spacecraft systems
- Design algorithms for orbit dynamics simulation, satellite constellation and network modelling.
- Create automation software tools for satellite functional testing
- Create automation tools to use experimental data to validate and improve the models
- Design of automatic satellite control routines
- Contribute to flight software architecture design and implementation and validation
- Work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Work independently and under pressure
- Take initiative and work in a self-driven manner
- Embrace challenge and work outside of the comfort zone
- Commit to fulfilling customer requirements and expectations
Skills and competencies
- REAL Experience in satellite/space systems engineering
- Experience in aerospace flight dynamics
- Experience in software model design and validation
- Experience in Java and C programming languages
- Quick learner
- Interest to work in the space industry in a startup environment
Please understand that since we don’t have staff taking care of visa application, we consider applicants of EU or UK passport holders…, or those who have an existing visa for the UK.
Agile methods experience (Agile, Scrum, …)
Knowledge of languages other than English
Open Cosmos in the media
“New Satcoms get ticket to space through ESA’s Pioneer programme” European Space Agency
How to apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply in our careers page or send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Links to your LinkedIn and GitHub profiles (if applicable)
– max. half a page covering letter