Database Infrastructure engineer (2017_DatabaseInfrastructure_eng)
What we are building
Open Cosmos Ltd. is revolutionising the way space technology is used. Open Cosmos provides simple and affordable access to space using nanosatellite technology.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone and advancing science and technology, we are developing a nanosatellite platform and a series of services that allow us to offer a ride to orbit to payloads of any kind at a record low price and short time to orbit.
We are a young, dynamic and very ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. Having gone from design to delivery of our first nanosatellite in less than six months, Open Cosmos’ first satellite was deployed into orbit at the end of April 2017. The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers that will be launched in 2018.
Description of the position:
The successful candidate will be in charge of the design and development of a database and managing the infrastructure that it runs on. This database is expected to grow rapidly, and should have high availability and throughput.
Space industry experience is not required.
Essential skills / experience
- Experience with PostgreSQL or PL/pgSQL including use of: views, transactions, asynchronous notifications, stored procedures, constraints, checks, triggers, table inheritance, ANALYZE, PL/pgSQL (i.e. not just via ORMs or basic SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT queries).
- Linux sysadmin & automation
- Containers (e.g. one or more of: nspawn, lxc, docker).
- Cloud (e.g. one or more of: AWS/DO/Azure/GoogleCompute)
- Ability to write and maintain unit tests
- Familiarity with a UNIX-like command-line interface (e.g. Linux / BSD/MacOS terminals)
- Quick learner and open to new technologies
- Interest to work in the space industry in a startup environment
- Ability to work independently, with initiative and under pressure
- Self-driven, embrace challenge and working outside of your comfort zone
- Committed to fulfil customer requirements and expectations
- Experience with C# and/or Java
- Understanding of writing parsers/generators for auto-generating code/tests/documentation
- Basic familiarity with set theory
- Experience scaling Postgres over multiple machines, and setting up replication for Postgres.
- Knowledge of languages other than English
- Excellent communication skills, e.g. can you explain a benefit of LATERAL JOIN to someone who isn’t familiar with databases?
Open Cosmos in the media
“New Satcoms get ticket to space through ESA’s Pioneer programme” European Space Agency
How to apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply in our careers page or send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Links to your LinkedIn and GitHub profiles (if applicable)
– max. half a page covering letter